Saturday, October 3, 2020

Back to the Basics

I would like to share with you the key things that have shaped me into the woman I am today. It is my hope that my words will encourage you to strive in your own walk with Christ. 

Getting back to the basics of our foundation. 

Coming from the Islamic faith, many of the believers I had encountered did not exemplify the Lord that I needed to guide me. It was Jesus Himself where I found the witness and example of His ways that I needed to know. From His example, I strive daily to be like Christ. To walk like Him, talk like Him, love like Him. His ways are pure and easy to understand. While I am human and cannot claim to be perfect, I endeavor to be like Him because of His love for me, and for all of mankind. My desire is for others to see Jesus in me. Sometimes, we as Christians are the only way others will see Him. Many lost people will never hold a Bible in their hands and learn of the amazing God we serve. He has commissioned us to be His hands and feet, spreading the good news of Him, the Saviour, to a sin-sick world. Becoming a devoted Christian and surrendering my life completely to Him over 30 years ago, these are some of the tenets I have stood upon, and encourage you to embrace these truths and disciplines in your own life: 

There is no greater love than His love. I’ve never needed to search anywhere else. Deuteronomy 6:4-5 says, “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.” I endeavor to live this scripture. 

Fall in love with Jesus! If you haven’t already done so, fall in love with the Savior! He is worthy of our love. He loved us first, even in our state of sin and incompleteness. If you strayed from your first love, I encourage you to return to Him, the One who loves you immeasurably! 

Hebrews 6:6 tells us, “If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.” Love Him so much that the thought of hurting Him hurts you. Love Him so much that your love and care for Him are as pure as they are toward those you love on Earth. Psalms 103:1-2 - With my whole heart, with my whole life, and with my innermost being, I bow in wonder and love before you, the holy God! Yahweh, you are my soul’s celebration. How could I ever forget the miracles of kindness you’ve done for me. 

Luke 6:31 instructs us, “And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.” As a Muslim, the golden rule was instilled in us. Why would I want to treat anyone in a way that I myself would not want to be treated? 

Aim to be pleasing to our Holy God. Colossians 1:10 - So that you may walk in a manner worthy of the Lord and may please Him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God. 

Choose you this day whom ye will serve, as is written in Joshua 24:15.  Commit wholeheartedly.  It really is that simple. He would rather you be hot or cold, not lukewarm. Christians and non-believers alike will have tests, trials and tribulations. Those who are grounded in Christ will remain steadfast and be unmovable because He is the foundation and rock of the believer’s salvation. 

Crucify your flesh daily. The Bible says in Galatians 5:24, “And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.” I love the scriptures that says, Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer (Psalm 19:14). When I am driving on these roads sometimes, I have to really crucify my tongue. I feel so provoked by the enemy to say some ungodly and ugly things. God help me! 

Have reverential fear for our Holy and loving God! He is worthy of our reverence! 1 Samuel 12:24 - Only fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things he has done for you Praise and worship Him! He is worthy! Psalms 100:4 - Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, [and] into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, [and] bless his name. 

Study His Word and pray for revelation and understanding. I am on a yearly Bible plan, and will begin a five year plan in 2021.  Reading the Word of God has been such a tremendous asset in my life.  I love and stand in awe of His Word which is sharp, powerful and cuts like a two-edged sword.

Be quick to repent. I ask the Lord to forgive me daily. While I strive to walk righteously, I will make mistakes along the way. I may inadvertently hurt others, including the Lord and myself, through an unkind word, thought or deed. 

Obey His commands. 1 Samuel 15:22 says, “And Samuel said, Hath the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.” 

Let Your Word Be Your Bond. These days, people will lie and make promises that they have no intentions of keeping. There are folks whose word doesn’t mean a thing. It’s so very important to keep your word. How does it feel when someone doesn’t keep their word to you? Yes, there will be times when things will come up. Life happens. However, if for some reason you can’t keep your word, the least you can do is let a person know that you will not be able to commit to whatever you promised. I have made promises sometimes and have put my foot in my mouth. When this has happened I had to honor my word even when it hurt or was an inconvenience. Please strive to be a man/woman of your word. I try my best to keep my promises. Proverbs 15:5 - Keep your word even when it costs you. 

I have strived to live a holy, obedient life, walking in humility, and doing good as Jesus did good. Whatever the Lord has asked me to do, I have aimed to do His will with a spirit of excellence and as unto the Lord. My husband and I also celebrate God’s appointed feasts found in Leviticus 23. I once heard a lady at church sing a song at church that has continued to minister to me over the past 20 years. “Teach me, oh Lord, the way of thy statutes and I will observe them with my whole heart.” That was so very profound to me! When those words are the cry of our hearts, I can attest that He will indeed teach you His ways! Let us keep our hearts and hands pure and clean. I often ask the Lord to create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me. As Matthew 5:8 says, “Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment