Friday, January 11, 2019

God’s Amazing Grace – My Journey Through Homelessness

God’s GRACE is so amazing! It’s indescribable. There are no words that I can find to articulate God’s grace adequately. There is no way possible that I can do the subject of grace any justice. All I know is that it can and will take you through any difficult situation. Just ask the Apostle Paul. Three times, he asked Jesus to remove the thorn from his side, and Jesus response was – My Grace Is Sufficient. So few, but such profound words!! Some speculate that this thorn in his flesh may have been malaria or epilepsy. No one can say for sure. However, it is believed to have been a physical affliction. 

Concerning this I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might leave me; But He said to me, my grace (My favor and loving-kindness and mercy) is enough for But He said to me, my grace (My favor and loving-kindness and mercy) is enough for you (sufficient against any danger and enables you to bear the trouble (manfully); for my strength and power are made perfect (fulfilled and completed) and show themselves most effective in (your) weakness. Therefore, I will all the more gladly glory in my weaknesses and infirmities, that the strength and power of Christ (the Messiah) may rest (yes, may pitch a tent over and dwell) upon me. So, I am well pleased with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, and with difficulties, for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak [in human strength], then I am strong [truly able, truly powerful, truly drawing from God’s strength]. 2 Corinthians 12: 8-10 AMP


I personally had an encounter with His Grace and found it to be truly incredible! I remember when my family and I found ourselves unexpectedly homeless and out on the streets with nowhere to go after relocating to California from Michigan. I went there to pursue my dream of going into the entertainment industry. I had gotten to a point where I was tired and worn out - body, soul, mind, and spirit. I was ashamed, humiliated, burnt-out and utterly exhausted from going from motel to hotel, sleeping and sometimes living out of our truck, calling Church after Church, organization after organization and family members for help. Plus, I was going through a serious health challenge. This had to be one of the most challenging seasons of my life. Although I was drained spiritually, mentally, physically, psychologically and emotionally, I knew things could be worse. I knew that someone else was going through something far worse than what we were going through. I’m not one to complain, but I tell you the truth - this fiasco had taken a toll on us. I desperately needed to hear from God! I needed direction. I needed answers! I needed to know if we should pack up and go back home to Detroit or remain in California. So, I went to God and humbly said to Him "I really need to hear from you.” And to my surprise, The Lord simply and quietly whispered in my ear – “MY GRACE IS SUFFICIENT." I thought to myself – You got to be kidding me. This was not the answer I wanted to hear – definitely the wrong answer. I didn’t want to disrespect or dishonor my heavenly Father, but again I humbly said to Him, Is that it Lord? You mean that’s all you have to say? I thought – Come on Lord, I know you can do anything. All you have to do is speak a word, and this can all be over and done with immediately. You are a miracle-working God! I’ve read and studied your word. I know you are a God of miracles, signs, and wonders! You are the God that brought the children of Israel across the Red Sea by dry land and gave them miracle-food to eat. You gave them water from the rock to drink. You are the God who heals the sick, open blind eyes, deaf ears and raises the dead. So, I knew He could certainly provide us with a home! I knew God was more than able to deliver us instantly and bring us out of this terribly uncomfortable situation if He wanted to. Well, after we fasted and prayed, within 2-3 weeks the Lord did provide us with a beautiful place to live, in a beautiful neighborhood - rent-free for 9 years which totaled over $100,000 and so much more! God gave us our recompense indeed! For our shame, He gave us back double just as He promised in Isaiah 61:7 - Instead of your shame you will have a double portion, And instead of humiliation they will shout for joy over their portion. He gave us beauty for ashes, joy for mourning and praise for heaviness (Isaiah 61:3)!! Our God is soooo FAITHFUL!! Although there are times when He will instantly deliver us, there are other times when we just have to weather the storm. He’s not always going to bring us out of our problems right away.

God is indeed a God of Restoration. 
He promised to restore the years that the locust has eaten (Joel 2:25)!

Seeing the lack of compassion, empathy, concern, and help that was available for the homeless was more than I could handle, but see that’s where God’s supernatural great grace came in. Little did I know at the time just how sufficient His Grace really is! As I later reflected upon that situation, I could genuinely say without a shadow of a doubt that His Grace is supremely sufficient! God's great grace is no joke and not to be taken lightly! When I became physically ill and extremely weak in my body and thought I couldn’t make it another day; His grace upheld me, sustained me, strengthened me, saved me and kept me from falling! His GRACE wouldn’t let me give up and throw in the towel. His GRACE kept me from losing my mind. O I thank the LORD for His supernatural, awesome and amazing GREAT GRACE! His GRACE kept the adversary from destroying me and taking me out of here. His GRACE held my marriage together! His GRACE didn’t allow my heart to become bitter or hard. I must admit that my heart was wounded and hurt for a while, but He healed my wounds. Lord, I give you praise, honor and glory! To Him, I will forever remain grateful and loyal!

And with great strength and ability and power the apostles delivered their testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus and great grace (loving-kindness and favor and goodwill) rested richly upon them all. Acts 4:33

Through this wilderness season, although we were turned away by many (there are some things that it still hurts to talk about), God had a few good men and women available to help us and who earnestly showed us the love of Christ. We will never forget them! He surely had a ram in the bush. When we initially became homeless, I remember one day I went into a beauty salon for some information and met a lady who invited us to visit her brother's church in Orange County. One day we decided to visit, and during praise and worship, the pastor said, the Lord said there is someone here who is going through a difficult time and need help. 

If that is you raise your hand. I knew he was talking about me, but I felt ashamed and embarrassed and didn’t raise my hand immediately. I lifted my hand to praise the Lord, and the pastor said is that you and I said yes. I thank the Lord Jesus that He didn’t allow my shame to get in the way of my blessing! The Lord blew my mind that day. I thank God for this Pastor's obedience! He told his people to bring up baskets and asked this small congregation to help us financially. I couldn’t believe this was happening to me. To see the people including the children going up putting money in the baskets messed me up (in a good way). Some of the little ones were putting change in there. Oh, my heart was touched and 
so full of joy. If I never experience seeing the compassion of God again, I must say I saw the genuine love of Christ that day, and I will always remember this selfless act of kindness. This small congregation raised about $600 that day and presented it to me. All I could do is weep! 

Once, my family and I were sitting in a restaurant with little money to buy food. I started talking to a young lady and told her about our situation, and she paid for our food. She then put me in touch with a wonderful pastor and his wife who let us come and stay with them for about 2 weeks. Even though my family kept telling us to come back home, the Lord was leading us to hold on just a little while longer and to ride out the storm. On another occasion, I felt the Lord was telling me to visit a church in Hollywood and I obeyed. By faith, I waited at the door after the service watching and looking for someone who would discern that we were in need of help. Everyone was almost gone, so I told the Lord I know you sent me here. Now, who are you going to use to bless us with money to get a hotel room? We had driven a long way from the Inland Empire and had just a little gas in our truck. I then saw a pleasant lady walk by and felt led to go to her and tell her about our situation. She immediately sprang into action. She took me to the Pastor and his wife and told them about our situation. They prayed for me, and that was it. Although I appreciated the prayer, it would have been nice for them to offer us some assistance. The lady then gave me $40 and took me to meet another lady who wrote us a check for $100. Glory to God! This dear lady then prayed with us and gave me her number. She stayed in contact and even offered us a room in her home until we found a place which we accepted her offer. 

But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, 
how does the love of God abide in him? 1 John 3:17

I know there is this stigma and sometimes negative views of the homeless by many, but unexpected hardship and situations can arise in one’s life just like in our case. Yes, there are people who are lazy and who will attempt to use or abuse one’s kindness. 

However, we lost our jobs. This had never happened before. Mind you during this time, we were getting unemployment checks, and my husband was working temporary jobs at Labor Ready, but we were still struggling. You never know what predicament you may one day find yourself in. God loves the poor and needy, although we help and bless His people because He said to do so. There are many blessings that He promises to us when we do so. Those that the world call castaways are dear to the heart of God! So, let’s be sensitive to His voice and reach out to help the poor when we can! I want to urge the body of Christ to remember God’s people especially those of the household of faith. 

So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith. Galatians 6:10 

I don’t know why this happened to us, but I’ve learned how to lean not unto my own understanding (Proverbs 3:5). While this experience didn’t feel good, I knew deep down in my heart that God had a divine purpose and a plan that we were not aware of. I knew what we went through was not in vain. 

Although, I considered myself to be a generous and giving person this ordeal took my level of compassion to another level. I’ve also had to pray for a higher level of discernment. Through our plight of homelessness, our ministry was birthed – 4 His Glory Ministry. We can’t help everyone but have had the privilege of helping hundreds of homeless and underserved families. What the devil meant for evil, God meant it for our good! Please know that no matter how great your challenge may be today; God’s grace is more than able to take you through your tough times. I want to encourage you to hold fast to Jesus Christ, The Author, and Finisher of your faith! May God’s supernatural GRACE rest upon each one of you. Grace grace grace be multiplied upon you, right now. In Jesus Name!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your testimony! Amen that God is Able deliver us out all adversity, opposition and tribulations in His perfect timing.

    ReplyDelete