Sunday, May 1, 2022

Obedience is better than Sacrifice

 

Before I start, I want to share a testimony from my cousin. She recounted to me how the Lord had placed it upon her heart to call this young man. Have you ever been in that situation where the Lord gives you specific instructions to do and you're reluctant? You feel tired and don’t want to be bothered. Well, that was exactly how she felt. She was lying down and tired when the Lord spoke to her.  Still, she obeyed and called this young man. Little did she know that this man had a gun and was about to take his life. Because of her obedience to the spirit of the Lord, this young man lives today. She prayed for him, and God intervened supernaturally. Let's give God the glory. Thank you, Lord Jesus. You didn't have to do this, but you did. We're just so grateful, Alleluia. God deserves all the praise, honor and the glory!  I thank God for my cousin’s act of obedience. I’m so happy that she didn’t ignore or act like she didn't hear the spirit of the Lord speaking to her. 

And that is what brings me to my topic again; Obedience is better than Sacrifice. Let's look at two scriptures about obedience. The book of Isaiah 1:19 says, “If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land.” How many of you all want the good of the land? Another version says, “If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the best of the land” (Isaiah 1:19 NASB). Alleluia, Jesus. I will take that promise.  I strive to be obedient.

I recall the story of how King Saul disobeyed God by not killing Agag, the Amalekite king, and saved sheep and cattle for a sacrifice. Here we see the Prophet Samuel cautioning Saul about his disobedience in the book of 1 Samuel 15:22. “But Samuel replied, 'does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the Lord?' To obey is better than Sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams.” 

God didn't want his sacrifices (animal sacrifices). God wanted Saul's obedience and submission to Him. That's just so powerful. Yet, Saul disobeyed and did otherwise, which cost him to be dethroned as King.  

I think about how many blessings some people miss because they just refuse to be obedient to what God is telling them to do, His instructions, laws and commands and then they ask the question, “Why am I not receiving certain rewards and blessings.” Sometimes we need to take self-inventory and reflect on the questions, “Am I doing what God asked me to do?” “Am I obedient to His will,” “Am I obedient to what He told me to do, whatever that might be.” If you have been disobedient, ask God to show you in what area you've been disobedient and help you do better and do what is right in His eyesight.  

I'll share a testimonial of a personal experience with a young lady. It was a while ago, just as my cousin, I was laying down resting my nerves and burned-out with people.  The Lord laid it upon my heart to call this young lady friend of mine, and I said, “Oh Lord, I'm so tired, I don't feel like talking on the phone.” How many of you all know that if we really love the Lord, we want to obey and please Him.  We want to do what He tells us to do. So, I made the phone call and told her what the Lord placed upon my heart... And the next day, she called me, saying, “You need to know that I held a hand full of prescription pills when you called me, and I was about to commit suicide. After you gave me that word from the Lord, that was what stopped me; I was ready to die.” Hearing this, I just said, “Thank you, Jesus.”  I began giving God the glory for saving her life. People are suffering; you just never know what they are going through. When God tells you or lays upon your heart to do something, do it. You never know which life you might be saving. It might be life-saving. 

I give God glory and praise for an ear to hear and obey His voice. This is not about us. Supposed I would have disobeyed and my cousin as well, things would have turned out tragically for these two precious souls of God. 

I thank God for those who are obedient and endeavor to be obedient. But some of you need to step up your game, obey God, do what He says that all might go well with you and that you might receive the blessings that He has for you. Deuteronomy 28 talks about the blessings of being obedient to His words, instructions and commands.  You can read that when you get the chance. The Bible passage also talks about the curses when you disobey His commands. This is the Word of God, not mine; Obedience is better than Sacrifice. If we are willing and obedient, we will eat the good of the land. He doesn't delight in our sacrifices as much as obeying the Him. Alleluia!

Help us to obey You, God; help us do what You tell us to do. We need Your help. “He is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in the time of trouble” (Psalm 46:1).

May God bless you and be with you and your family!

No comments:

Post a Comment